Step Up Your Campfire Cooking Game with This Chicken Pad Thai Recipe!
From the Aussie Outback to Thai Delights
Picture this: there I was, on my global adventures when I first stumbled upon the bustling streets of Thailand. It was there I found Chicken Pad Thai, a dish that packed a punch of flavour so big, I knew I had to bring it back home to our stunning outback. And so, the journey of infusing my camping cookery with this exceptional Thai delicacy began.
Let me tell you, the flavours of Thai cuisine, particularly Chicken Pad Thai, are something else. The harmonious balance of sweet, salty, sour, and spicy is like a symphony for the taste buds. It’s all about combining fresh, vibrant ingredients in a way that makes every single bite tell a story.
Why Chicken Pad Thai is a Game Changer for Campfire Cooking
Chicken Pad Thai is not just another noodle dish; it’s a complete meal on its own, packed with proteins, carbs, and heaps of flavours. It’s easy to cook, forgiving, and the ingredients are simple enough to pack on any camping trip. Once you introduce Chicken Pad Thai to your campfire repertoire, trust me, there’s no turning back.
The Main Event: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Campfire Chicken Pad Thai
Start by soaking your rice noodles in cold water, then prepping your chicken by slicing it into thin, bite-sized pieces.
Heat up your pan and add some oil, then cook the chicken until it’s golden brown. Remove it from the pan and set it aside. In the same pan, fry up some garlic until fragrant, then add beaten eggs, scrambling them lightly.
Assembling the Chicken Pad Thai
Add in your soaked and drained noodles, along with tamarind paste, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Toss everything together until the noodles are tender. Add back in your chicken, followed by bean sprouts and peanuts. Give everything one final toss.
Pro Tips for Perfecting Your Chicken Pad Thai
Always taste your dish as you go along, adjusting the flavours to suit your palate. Like it sweeter? Add more sugar. Need more tang? Squeeze in some extra lime. Leftovers of your Chicken Pad Thai can be stored in airtight containers and make a fantastic next-day lunch, if you’re lucky enough to have any left!
Making It a Group Experience: Cooking Chicken Pad Thai Together
Cooking this dish is as much fun as eating it! It’s an interactive activity everyone can participate in. Hand out tasks: let someone be in charge of prepping ingredients, another person can cook, and everyone can get together for the final taste test.
Look, the great outdoors isn’t just for billy tea and damper. With dishes like Chicken Pad Thai, you can elevate your campfire cooking game to new levels of deliciousness. So, step out of your comfort zone and try something new, all the while soaking in the beauty of our stunning Australian landscapes.
Ready to embrace the flavour fiesta? Give this Chicken Pad Thai recipe a go on your next camping adventure. Don’t forget to share your experience, and maybe even a photo or two. Who knows? Your Chicken Pad Thai dish could be the star of our next recipe roundup! Happy camping and even happier cooking, everyone!
Chicken Pad Thai
- 7 oz Pad Thai noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 large chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 Small Onion diced
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs beaten
- ⅔ cup Pad Thai sauce store-bought, or see recipe below
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
Pad Thai Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce or Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn off the heat and submerge the noodles for 8-10 minutes. Noodles are done when they are soft but “al dente.”
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or regular vegetable oil if that’s what you’ve got) in a skillet over medium. Once hot, add the chicken, onions, and salt. Saute until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are starting to brown.
- Move the chicken to one side of the pan, lower the heat, then add the eggs to the skillet, stirring them frequently to scramble.
- Once the noodles are done (see step 1), the chicken is cooked through, and the eggs are scrambled, use tongs to lift the noodles out of their soaking water. Add noodles to the skillet, then pour in the pad thai sauce. Stir to coat the noodles.
- Top with green onions, fresh cilantro, and chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
Optional Step At Home (if you’re not using store bought pad thai sauce)
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small, sealable jar or bottle and shake to combine. Pack in your cooler.
Fuel Up for Adventure
A hearty lunch will give you the energy you need to explore or relax—however you choose to spend your day.
Feast Under the Stars
Dinner is when you can really get creative. After a long day of adventure, you deserve a hearty meal.
Camp Meal Recipes
The All-In-One Wonders
Sometimes, you just want a simple meal that requires minimal effort but delivers maximum flavor.