Perfect Camp French Toast
This recipe for classic French Toast is one you'll return to again and again!
Servings 8 slices
- ½ lb loaf bread
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 4 tablespoons butter for pan
- Maple syrup & berries to top
- Cut the bread into 3/4" - 1” thick slices.
- Beat the eggs first in a bowl large enough to accommodate a slice of the bread. Then add milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and sugar together, until thoroughly mixed.
- Heat 4 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip a slice of bread in the egg and milk mixture and let it soak for about 10 seconds on each side. Let the excess drip off, sprinkle each side with additional sugar, and then fry it in the skillet until golden and crispy on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat with the rest of the bread, adding more butter to the skillet as needed.
- Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, and a cup of hot coffee. Enjoy!