Grilled Halloumi Breakfast Sandwich
This sweet & spicy breakfast has it all: fried cheese and egg, sandwiched between a sweet Hawaiian roll bun. This is a camping breakfast that will have you excited to roll out of your sleeping bag in the morning!
Servings 1 serving
- 1 large Hawaiian sweet roll (use the sandwich buns if you can find them)
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil divided
- 2 oz halloumi cheese sliced
- 1 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (more or less depending on your heat preference)
- 1 scallion sliced or julienned
- salt + pepper to taste
- Toast the sandwich buns either in your skillet or over a grill. Set aside.
- Heat half the butter or oil in your skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, add the cheese. Fry on each side until golden brown in spots, about 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside. This step could also be done on a grill if you have one going. In that case, skip the butter/oil, and place the cheese directly on the grill.
- Heat the remaining butter or oil over medium heat. Once melted, crack the egg into the skillet. Totally optional step: Once the whites begin to set, you can use a fork to mix up the yolk a bit so that it gets distributed throughout the egg a bit, so there will be yolk in every bite. Cook the egg for about 4 minutes, or until they are cooked to your preferred doneness.
- While the egg is cooking, prep the spicy mayo. In a small bowl (or in a measuring cup), mix together the mayo and the Sriracha.
- To assemble, spread the spicy mayo on each cut surface of the buns. Layer on the grilled halloumi, egg, scallions, and salt & pepper to taste.